Recipe for Kourabiethes
(recipe is for 2 baking trays, aprox. 80 cookies)
1/2 cup Rosewater
Extra icing sugar for powdering (about 2 cups)
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Then add the oil. Add the egg yolks and beat for 10 minutes longer.
- Add some of the flour (add 1-2 cups at a time and keep some to add later). Poor your brandy (cognac) to a large glass and then add your baking powder and stir it until dissolved. Now pour this mixture, along with the vanilla extract and the nuts and continue beating until blendid in and the dough is a cohesive soft mass.
- Start kneading with your hands the mixture and s-l-o-w-l-y add the flour to the mixture until all the flour has been absorbed.
- Set the dough aside to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Using your hand, grab a piece of dough the size of a walnut and form them into the shape of choice - crescents or patties (you could also use a cookie cutter). Place each formed cookie on a baking tray lined with parchment paper (or greased cookie sheet). Repeat process until all dough has been shaped into cookies.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven (middle rack) for 25 minutes for each batch.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with rosewater, then roll in the powdered sugar. Dust serving plates or platter with confectioner's sugar and add cookies.
Now place some more icing sugar in a sifter and generously dust the Kourabiedes with more icing sugar until well-coated.
- The cookies can be stored in a sealed container, in a cool, dry place and they’ll keep for at least two weeks